17 October 2005

Transgender Day of Remembrance

The 7th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance will be November 20th. It will commemorate the deaths of individuals who were, or were perceived to be, transgender or gender-variant. It was started after the 1998 death of Rita Hester in San Francisco.

The sad truth is, as long as sex work continues to be the most accessible industry for transgender women, and as long as the Christian death cultists keep cranking up their brand of hate, the deaths will only escalate. I am hoping that my startup in high-tech industry - another trans-friendly industry - will keep me above the layer of discrimination, and eventually enable me to move to a country with less hatred and universal healthcare.

I will keep an eye on this year's events and see if there is any way for me to participate.

Day of Remembrance