23 April 2006

New Computer

My new computer, an HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop, has arrived, and I've spent the past two days transferring programs and data from my old Dell.

I was dismayed to find that HP assembled and configured my computer at Kunshan Export Processing Zone near Shanghai, China. The competitors at least configure the laptops within the US. But at least it took only one day for the computer to travel from Shanghai to my door, even with "standard shipping."

Aside from the loss of American jobs to China, this is otherwise a nice machine, with a beautiful 17-inch widescreen and a numeric keypad as well as Altec Lansing speakers. It's not ideal for travel, but it makes up for it by being as capable as any desktop. I've just tested running some of my most demanding games, and the results are spectacular.

Of course, knowing that I am no longer dependent on Michael Dell for my technology is a priceless feeling.