04 November 2008

A little milestone

United Airlines informs me that I have now done over 26,000 miles of flying this year on Star Alliance, making me a Premier.

As a Premier, I have a few extra benefits when traveling, such as priority waitlisting, that apply to any Star Silver customer. If flying on United, US Airways, or Lufthansa, I am eligible for a 25% mileage bonus toward future free travel; however, for elite qualification, only actual flight miles will still count. On United and US Airways only, I check in at business class counters and get priority boarding, even if I fly in steerage. I also get to check two bags on domestic and Canadian flights, without paying the dreaded checked baggage fee. On United only, I am eligible to sit in Economy Plus, with its extra legroom, at no extra cost.

It's not much, but it's still an elite status, my first-ever with any airline. I will be a Premier through February 2010, and if I manage to rack up enough miles next year (I do expect to come back to Seoul twice, which should almost do it), I will continue to qualify on a yearly basis.

Looking forward to more travels. Next time I come back to Seoul, I'll try to book on United, if only for the 25% mileage bonus.