- Solo singles (those completely living alone) make up 26% of all households - outnumbering the "traditional family."
- Most unmarried couples with kids end up getting hitched - or splitting - within 18 months.
- Marriage has 1,100 federal benefits, a few penalties, and a huge wage advantage. You gotta love the discrimination against singles, unmarried couples, and gays.
- W sees marriage as the way out of poverty. Experts disagree, seeing a marriage and a divorce as being worse financially than not marrying at all, especially for women.
- It is legal to discriminate based on marital status.
Instead of focusing narrowly on legalizing marriages for same-sex couples, I think making life easier for all unmarrieds - including solo singles - should be the priority.
MSN Lifestyle article
P.S. In addition to minivan commercials, I've found another place where "traditional" families rule supreme - Mary Kay meetings. Everyone was a married mom of 2.5 children, doing Mary Kay cosmetics sales in order to pay for the kids' Christian school tuitions. (Moreover, everyone wanted the ultimate prize - a pink Cadillac, or at least a Chevy Blazer SUV - to ferry those kids to the Christian schools. By contrast, I was already fixated on BMWs back then!) I could never feel more out of place, as a single lesbian with no kids and not much of an interest in Christianity - transgender did not even come in here.