06 September 2005

While we grieve over Katrina...

Bush managed to elevate John Roberts to not just a mere Supreme Court nominee, but the Chief Justice nominee, now that Chief Justice William Rehnquist is dead.

Roberts has only two years of experience as a judge. That's not enough to entrust the position of Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, and shape the legal landscape of the nation for decades to come. This is unacceptable. Where is the rage?

Roberts does have a stellar experience as a corporate lawyer against the well-being of the average American. His most important case was where he successfully defended Toyota Motor Manufacturing USA's firing of workers who had suffered disabilities from work-related injuries.

My first Toyota was a California-built '89 Corolla, which, while reliable, couldn't hold a candle next to the flashier Hondas my friends and acquaintances drove in high school. I haven't driven a Toyota since my sister wrecked the Corolla while I was away in college, and thanks to Roberts, it looks like that will stay the case. No amount of Priuses and Lexus hybrids will convince me to ever buy a Toyota product again.