28 June 2008

Travel Plans

With the end of my business trips after the Indianapolis fiasco last month, my travel plans for the rest of the year have been pared back. It looks like I will go on two major trips later this year.

First will be the hated Alaska, where my parents had bought a place, and left a California-registered Ford Econoline cruising van. It looks like the Econoline is ill-suited for Alaska use, and is needed back in California anyway, so I will be in charge of driving it back home, and purchasing a four-wheel-drive vehicle for Alaska local use. I've already purchased a one-way ticket to Anchorage on US Airways for this trip - it will be my first flight on US Airways. (Thanks to Star Alliance, I will get United miles for this flight.) This will need to be done before Alaska Highway is snowed in for the rest of the year.

For Thanksgiving, I am expecting to head north again - to Toronto, which will be chilly, but not TOO chilly then. Since Canadian Thanksgiving is on American Columbus Day instead of November, I'll be arriving on what will be a normal workweek for the locals. This will be my first visit to Toronto. I haven't traveled much at all this year for pleasure, so this Toronto trip will be well-deserved. I'm looking forward to the trip, as Toronto is Canada's answer to New York AND Chicago.

Unfortunately, I don't expect a European trip at this time - and it will have been over 5 years since my last European trip by the time this year ends. This needs to change sometime soon. Meanwhile, I am tightening my finances, in order to save up a small fortune and hopefully buy a modest condo; this will probably mean further cutbacks in my travel plans.