30 June 2008

No more Windows XP

Microsoft won't sell any more Windows XP licenses after today, with very few and strict exceptions.

Although my personal Windows Vista machines have done very well (including Windows Vista running on my Mac), my work machines have been a nightmare, to a point where I had to downgrade a Vista box to XP to get it to network. And I still don't have a clue as to how good SP1 on Vista is in fixing its bugs, as my personal boxes haven't picked up SP1 yet.

This leaves my work machines in a limbo. Of course, XP will continue to be supported for my existing computers until 2014, but adding/replacing computers will force me to use Vista from now on.

It's awful that I have Windows-only CAD software to run at work; otherwise, I'd strongly push for transitioning to Macs, as both Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5 have been impressive.

MSN Tech