05 July 2008

A bit extra travel

I decided to make an overnight run to Vegas for the 4th of July at the last minute.

The Blue Man Group was wonderful at the Venetian, though I have to say that I was a wee bit too tired to enjoy it. If I were a kid, I would've really enjoyed the colorful, wacky presentation. Even for the young at heart, scientific facts and "how-to" rock star instructions thrown in here and there added some humor.

I spent time playing blackjack at the Venetian, with $25 minimum bumped up to $50 later. I lost $250 - I was down $500 at one point before recovering. Fortunately, I made up my losses at Excalibur and MGM Grand, at the $10 minimum tables - the latter a lucky spot from my visit there in 2006 for a Mariah Carey concert. My gambling tally this trip: I won $6.

Despite the 105-degree heat, I'm happy with this trip. I was also impressed with the new Hyatt Place hotel at Paradise and Harmon - especially the self check-in feature and the HD plasma TV; I am definitely going back there next time!

P.S. I'm way too old to be carded now, but I was carded anyway at the Venetian - and when all I had was a male ID, it didn't go over well. Only after the pit boss OK'd me could I play.