22 September 2008

Around the World

Two interesting news items, courtesy of BBC.

First, back in the US, Yankee Stadium hosted its final scheduled baseball game, as the New York Yankees prepare to move to a new ballpark next door, for the next season. The old ballpark will be demolished, sadly.

BBC In Pictures

Over in the UK, an excavation was done on one of my favorite past destinations - Stonehenge. Lots of new facts were uncovered, including evidence of use as a healing center, and construction date being moved to about 2300 BCE.

BBC

Stonehenge was the high point of my only-ever road trip outside North America. Now, ten years later, I am sitting in neither the US nor the UK, but in South Korea, thousands of miles away from either place. My hope is to re-create the magic by doing a road trip to the historical city of Gyeongju, but I am not sure if I'll be able to pull it off.

In the meantime, when I am not busy taking photos of monuments and artwork throughout Seoul, or meditating, or getting enraged at the Lee Myung-bak government's continued assault on South Korean and American democracies, I have one more thing to do. I previously mentioned some board games popular in Korea, including baduk, known as Go in Japan and the Western world, and weiqi in China. As it turns out, there is a cable TV channel here that is showing only Go games - mostly high-level professional tournaments, but some matches of good amateurs between alumni of different high schools as well. There are great commentaries as well during the course of each game. To be honest, that's pretty much 90% of all the Korean television I ever watch (as I boycott news programs due to their government/corporatist bias).

Onbaduk.tv (the cable TV channel for Go - Korean only)