14 October 2008

Fires in California

I may be 6,000 miles away from Los Angeles, but I still know that it's fire season there. It's bone dry, and the rain season won't be around for a bit longer. That means ripe conditions for wildfires, as the Santa Ana winds kick up.

Five years ago, at this time of the year, the fires were so bad that I kept coughing up the ashes - days later, and 5,500 miles away, in London. (That reminds me, I need to get back to Europe, sooner than later.)

And now, the fires look just as bad. Sylmar and West Hills seem to be burning very badly, and two are reported dead already. Fortunately, I am nowhere near those areas, but even residents 10 miles away are asked to prepare for evacuation at any minute. Freeways are jammed due to evacuations and closures.

Hoping for the best back home.

BBC
BBC Pictorial