14 November 2008

More US politics

Sure, I am about to really get into a Korean mindset with my road trip, but for now, I am going back to US politics.

Here are two Daily Kos diaries, dealing with Proposition 8.
In addition, on Saturday the 15th, the LGBT community and its allies are turning out in droves across the US to protest the passage of Prop 8 in California and similar measures elsewhere. Too bad I can't be there in person, but I'll be there in spirit, and will make sure to fight South Korea's own homophobes, who surely played a part in American homophobic legislations.

And Daily Kos also has this great electoral map feature for this year's election. Turns out that my Congressional district, CA-42, remains among the most Republican anywhere in the state (and very Republican even by national standards). The only redder shades were found in places where the Democrats didn't even bother fielding a challenger. On the other hand, it was nice to see most of Southern California, including Inland Empire and San Diego, voting for Obama. My mentor Gayle Brandeis kept telling me that her hometown of Riverside is more progressive than people give it credit for; now, I'll certainly believe her.