09 June 2009

Update on Vital Records

I discussed South Korean vital records - especially as I was obtaining them myself six months ago.

I'm pleased to say that I have taken the next step with those vital records. Proper paperwork has now been filed with the South Korean consulate in Los Angeles, to inform them of my US citizenship, and therefore deactivate my records. A certified copy of the deactivated records will be mailed to me from the consulate, once the records are processed and deactivated in South Korea.

This is a step that I've looked forward to for a long time, but couldn't quite carry out due to my lack of understanding of South Korean laws. But I'm glad that I've gone through it. For now, it makes clear that I am no longer the subject of the treasonous 2MB government in Seoul.

And after a saner government takes power in Seoul, I will continue to benefit. My status is now clear - an foreigner with former South Korean nationality - and that status makes me eligible for a wide range of rights in South Korea, should I decide that I need them. For starters, I am eligible for a two-year residency visa that can be renewed indefinitely, and that visa also allows economic activities and all other rights of a South Korean, except military service and voting. Even South Korean nationality, with full rights, is possible - though it'd be treated as a "restoration" rather than a "naturalization." (I'd be expected to renounce my US citizenship within six months, if I take this route.)

A more likely scenario, however, would be for me to use the South Korean papers in my possible future application for Canadian residency. The Canadians would certainly want to see my current papers for US citizenship, but would also want to see official documentation of my birthplace information. My identity change and other relevant information can easily be supplied from the US court records.

In any case, this step is a win-win for me - and I am glad that I can move on with my life.