27 July 2007

O'Reilly vs. Daily Kos - and BMW

Daily Kos and other liberal blogs are taking off - to a point where the traditional right-wing media is feeling threatened.

In the last week, Bill O'Reilly of Fox News described the bloggers of Daily Kos, and their convention YearlyKos, as hatemongers, being the equivalent of the KKK or the Nazis. Never mind that O'Reilly's own website features even more hate speech, including threats to bomb San Francisco and threats against Democratic congressional officials.

NewsHounds has been tracking the advertisers of O'Reilly's show - in effect, supporters of the hate speech and partisan propaganda. The most prolific advertiser last week was BMW.

I've fired off a letter to BMW's corporate communications, telling them that as much as I love my 3-series, I will look elsewhere for my next car (and many more subsequent ones) unless BMW pulls its advertising from O'Reilly (or at least, advertise on his target Daily Kos). I'm already fed up with BMW's support of Pope Benedict, and refusal to offer domestic partner benefits to US employees. I'll see what kind of response I get. In the meantime, the likes of Audi A4 and Mercedes C-class are starting to look better and better.